
Shrimp and papaya salad
This salad was terrible. My roommate declared it tasted like German food . . . I think it just tasted gross. The shrimp were cut in half lengthwise, a preparation I had never seen before. Turns out there's a reason-- it exposes a scary chalky Pepto-Bismolesque interior. Ugh.

Pho tai (rare beef) $5
So I decided to try this restaurant for pho after hearing that it is the best in the area . . . we were all pretty unimpressed. The broth, however, was good. It's flavor is more complex than the broth at Saigon II in the El Cerrito/Richmond 99Ranch shopping mall (Pacific East Mall) where usually go for pho, but the meat wasn't as tender or as tasty. The noodles were unremarkable, which is probably a good thing. Overall, I don't think it is worth the extra 5 minute drive compared to Saigon II. The waiter was very friendly though.
My dining-mates ordered lemon tea and Thai iced tea, which they both enjoyed. I ordered "Soybean Milk" ($1.25) assuming it was the homemade kind like you often find at Chinese restaurants, but then the waitress brought out a can of Yeo's brand canned soymilk (a dime a dozen at 99Ranch) and I was so disappointed that I told her that I had changed my mind and I didn't want it anymore. She was very accomodating, and I felt a little bad, but at least she hadn't opened it yet. Soooooo . . . the moral of the story is that you'd better ask if the soymilk is homemade (or freshly made) before you order it!

Pho toppings
Standard fare. The basil looks a little wilty in this pic, though I didn't notice it previously.
2 comments:
Would have to question your culinary opinion. Huong Tra is the best pho I've ever tasted and has some wonderful dishes. I don't think I've eaten their salads so much, but any time I am within 20 miles of Huong Tra, and it is open, I try to make special arrangements to go there.
Thanks for the tip . . . I have never had "authentic" pho so I am just going off my personal preferences! I wonder if the icky salad and canned soymilk turned me off the place and didn't allow for a fair review? I'll try to return and give them a second chance!
Post a Comment