Thursday, June 09, 2005

Shanghai Restaurant, Oakland Chinatown


Soymilk

No complaints. I think they asked if we wanted it sweet or salty; we got is sweet. Seemed homemade. I think it cost 3$ for a bowl (it's a good size for 3 people).


Taro and pork (and cornstarch) claypot (3 for $15)

I really liked this dish (maybe partly because it was salty), but it suffered a little from too much cornstarch. It looks like it would be feasible to make this dish at home which would be exciting.


Squash/melon with soybeans . . . and cornstarch (3 for $15)

This was good, but, like all the entrees we had at Shanghai Restaurant, it was over cornstarched.


Xiao long bao

I didn't think these were as good as at Koi Palace! The filling was good here, but I thought that the skins were too thick. At KP the skins are soo tender (even if the xlbs there are slightly overly msg-ed). The shame . . . a Cantonese place outdoing a place called Shanghai Restaurant. Not that I know anything about xiao long bao or how they are supposed to taste, I just know what tastes good to me.


Sticky rice in lotus leaf

Disappointing. Not sure if these were Sahnghai style or what, but these have been better every other place I've had them.


Free dessert!!! (thanks to Mary!)

No comments: