Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Filfila, Giza, Cairo


Today was my first restaurant meal. Unfortunately the restaurant was packed with tourists and waaaaay overpriced (though still a fairly good deal by American standards). Fortunately, the state of California paid for me and we got our own private room. I couldn't believe how many people I saw wearing tank tops and shorts in the restaurant when we first walked in. On the streets I have seen NO ONE wearing a tank top or shorts and nearly every single woman I see is wearing a head scarf and is covered to her wrists and ankles. Even those who don't wear head scarves are dressed in sleeves at least to their elbow and pants or skirts to their ankles. I guess some people just don't pick up on the clues??? Anyhow, enough about all that, on to the food. Above you see a sample of the menu, but nothing that we ate. There are about 5.7 LE in one dollar, so you can work out the prices yourselves. The food was all right. I hope other places are better.


These juices were good- lime/lemon on top and mango below. The mango was very thick with lots of pieces of mango and was definitely freshly made. Mangoes are in season right now and very popular here.


Bread.


Pickles that seem to come with most Egyptian meals. Not really like pickles in the US, but I can't tell what it is that they use that makes them unique. Yummy, though.


Salad, roasted eggplant, and baba ghanoug.


Some kind of dipping sauce.



These are AWESOME. They are Egyptian style falafel. Instead of being made with chickpeas they are made out of fava beans. Way better than regular falafel. They call them "ta'amiyya," I think.


"Creme caramel." One of the two desserts we got to choose from. Like a gross, tasteless flan.


Egyptian rice pudding. This looked a little iffy but turned out to be delicious. Yummy rice pudding with a layer of burnt/scalded milk on top (Christine would love this). I was skeptical about the scalded milk but when eaten with the rest of the rice pudding it was awesome.

No comments: